Tuesday 12 September 2017

Star Image for Idea 1 and 2 - Bonzai, Nao & The Rolling Stones

Idea 1 Star Image: Bonzai

For my intial ideas I am still very stubborn about doing a pop/r&b/alternative song. I want it to be very abstract and visual, but still including a narrative. The song 'Nuggets' by Mura Masa still plays in my mind when I think about a music video I want to film.

Bonzai, the artist who features on the track has a very intriguing star image and I wanted to research her. First thing that i noticed was her bright red hair. This is very organic and individual. You can tell that she has not been told to do this by her record label called 'Columbia Records', the subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment. She has a very unique look and portrays herself as a very laid back person. She is from Ireland and does mostly dance/electronic genres of music. She mostly only features on bigger artists albums like Mura Masa, but has recently released a new single called 'I Feel Alright'. I love this music video because it is quite a basic narrative with cuts of her singing in-between, but very addictive to watch. I love the aerial view of her red hair contrasting against the grey concrete. These are the kind of visual strands I would like to replicate in my video, but I know I would have limits on locations I can shoot at, and I do not own a drone so it would be difficult to achieve. She has 90's vibes as well, which contributes to the star image I want to contribute to.






Her 'Did It' music video is very weird and full of fantasy and imagination. It is all a cartoon and the editing matches with the music. I wasn't a fan of this music video because it is too psychedelic and eccentric.

Her website is very simple and colourful:
It is very up to date too, she has all her social medias in clear view and audio effects whenever you hover over a title. I love this kind of website, as it shows her individually as this is not how a synthetic artists website would be like.


Heres her soundcloud too: https://soundcloud.com/b_o_n_z_a_i]
I noticed all her social media accounts have the same layout, a banner of her face up close and the same profile picture - it is consistent, which fans need.


Nao

Her music and style has a very 90's aesthetic to it. Her genre is R&B/soul. Her stand out feature is her very voluminised hair, which makes her stand out to fans. She has been praised by the billboard charts. She has a very unique, retro voice.

"Alternative-R&B has emerged in recent years featuring ethereal, wispy vocals on top of eccentric, borderline dance production. Nah nails the R&B/electronic space with a voice reminiscent of vocals MVPs like Fantasia and futuristically fresh like Janet Jacksons's sound crafted a la Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis" - billboard



This music video has a weird narrative to it, a man walking around in an orange space, being flung around by an invisible force. It is just sequences of him being tugged in various directions and beating up an invisible person.






'Girlfriend'  was one of her first official videos, and she is barely even in the video, it is just abstract shots of people and the place they live with a little narrative of a couple. Not a very interesting video, but I like the way the people involved are dress and the visual strands.

Here is her website, very simplistic just like Bonzai's website. Her social medias are clearly shown which indicates she is active on them


Idea 2 Star Image: The Rolling Stones


The Rolling Stones were an iconic rock band in the 70's. Their look was very vintage and they have the star image I expect my star to look like.


No comments:

Post a Comment